Monday, January 10, 2011

develop a healthy, robust community


You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.   James 3:18, The Message

“Lord, help us bring your presence and peace and hope to our community!”  Is that your prayer?  Is that the prayer of everyone in your church body?  Is that the prayer of every body of believers in your community? 

I live in a community that such a unity is growing.  Pastors and fellow believers of several churches meet weekly at twelve noon, to pray such a prayer.  As I listen to the voices rising to God, my love and compassion for this community grows; I fill with joy as I hear the pleas that the saints cry out for this community and I am embraced by the presence of Christ’s peace.  I hear prayerful intercession for the souls of our community to find the healing of Jesus’ love, and I hear hearts weeping for the peace God’s Holy Spirit to spill over our community.  Such a gathering brings to my heart a joyful freedom from strife, a peace settles over my spirit.  I thank God for such a gathering of diverse Christians coming together.  I pray for others in Christ to join us in a unity of prayer, because, “In Christ's family there can be no division” (Gal 3:28a), but singleness in purpose.  I pray the same for all communities.

No matter the size of a church or a community of churches, if we are indeed in Christ Jesus, we are one (John 17:11b), one in faith and one in purposeto develop a healthy, robust community.  I pray that we work hard together, serving our community in deed and by sharing the gospel story of Christ Jesus.

Owen <><

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive