Friday, February 15, 2013

“The Necessity of Prayer” #1

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.”
Jesus, Matthew 7:7-8

Prayer and faith are inseparable. 
As the Father is inseparable with Son and Spirit, ...
      ... ... so are we inseparable to our Father by faith. 
Our only true communion of spirit with our Savior, Christ Jesus, is while in prayer.  

My granny taught me about praying, not directly, but I watched her.  My mom’s side of the family is very southern, my great-great-grandfather Barnes planted the first orange grove in Lee County FL; and they are Baptist to the bone.  But my granny Francis was raised Catholic, and then married my grandfather Barnes.  She did things a little different, I can remember that “necklace” she would sit with and push each bead by one by one, I leaned that was the Rosary and each bead was a special prayer.   Now, when I returned from Southeast Asia I brought granny a Cross fashioned out of Jade and presented it to her.  I could see she was pleased by the twinkle in her brilliant blue eyes, but immediately she said, “O’ Owen, I’m not Catholic anymore.”  I folded her hand over the cross and simply said, “Granny that doesn’t matter, the cross is for all of us and your prayers are always heard.”  She held that little cross close.  My granny praying while holding the little cross and her Rosary is the last memory I was blessed with, she soon went on to join my grandfather Barnes.  Granny confessed Christ, not the little cross or beads, but held them tightly as a profession of her faith.

How important is prayer, spiritual communion with you – are you leaving memories?

Blessings,
Owen

Next Post: “The Necessity of Prayer”  #2 (Asking, Seeking, Knocking)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive