Saturday, May 13, 2017

We Only Hear About the Bad People

I was enjoying a ride through ranch country to my favorite lake when I realized I had poorly planned.  I heard a whop-whop-whop sound like a helicopter; then, I saw and experienced, for the first time ever, my tire tread on my boat trailer separating and going down the road.  I found myself without my tools, jack, and failed to recognize my tires were aging on my boat trailer; bad planning on my part.  But, things didn’t go bad.  I pulled off the road and the land owner came out and asked if he could help; he went by “RJ.”  Before I knew it, a jack and tools were produced and he had my demolished tire in the back of his truck and we were on our way to a tire shop in Wayne, Oklahoma.

I had good conversations with RJ and those at the tire shop we arrived at.  After RJ helped me get the tire on and would not accept any help for his kindness, I proceeded back to the tire shop and replaced the other tire on my boat trailer.  No more ill prepared chances for me.  

As I finished up business I mentioned to the owner how good his employees were to me and how and kind RJ was.  He looked up from his paperwork and said, “We only hear about the bad people, never the good people like RJ and the majority of folks.”  He continued, “That’s why I always read Proverbs a couple or more times a year.  I read my Bible every day, but it is so easy to read Proverbs in a month, it has thirty-one chapters, you know.”  We talked a while, as we did, he continually mentioned his church and he then said, “Proverbs is important, anytime a young person asks me what they need to read in the Bible I tell them, ‘Read the book of John and Proverbs, read Proverbs a couple of times.’ I tell them Proverbs is important because it teaches us how we should live.”

As my business ended, I departed a very feeling good inside due to a wonderful conversation with a good man in a simple conversation, having been served by good people, and most of all I had been helped by a kind, good man, RJ.  Lastly, I and you need to remember the great book of wisdom, Proverbs:

“For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;
he stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
he is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
guarding the paths of justice
and watching over the way of his saints.
Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path;
for wisdom will come into your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul;
discretion will watch over you,
understanding will guard you, …”
~ Proverbs 2:6-11

Blessing, goodness, and wisdom be with you,
Owen <><

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive